Monday, June 10, 2013

Protip! Don't Siphon Gas With A Vacuum Cleaner

Palm Bay spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez reports that the flash fire occurred around 7:15 p.m. in the 1300 block of Waffle Street.

According to Martinez, a witness saw "his neighbor on fire and running out of the house."

Family members took the victim to a hospital. Palm Bay firefighters put out the fire in the garage, which caused an estimated $20,000 damage to the house.

An investigation revealed that the man was siphoning the gasoline from the car with the shop vacuum, with the garage door closed.  Martinez said the fire appears to be the result of gasoline fumes accumulating inside the closed garage, which were ignited by the vacuum.

The victim was transferred to the Orlando Regional Medical Center Burn Center.

No comments: