Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Man Dies After Cockroach Eating Contest

<--- He did win the contest though.



The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

Read the whole story  HERE

6 comments:

Breethulhu said...

Aww poor cockroaches :(
The only type of bug I can stand.

Dr. Theda said...

Too bad he died ...he could have came to my home and eaten all of those little vermin...

David said...

@Breethulu: I think that I remember you or one of our mutual blogger friends mention Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, I love those little guys. But ordinary roaches, ugh! Lucky for me I've yet to see any in the northern climes I live at now.

@Doc: Lol, you could lock him in the dungeon and make him live off the land. :)

Gabriel said...

I feel guilty for laughing, but Dr. Theda's comment and yours just cracked me up.
I'm also really curious about the cause of death. Was it the roaches?

Kat said...

Maybe the armor of the cockroaches was to hard and cutted through his intestines? Maybe cockroaches have toxic goo inside and if you eat a certain amount, you´ll die? Ah, I could think about this for hours XD

PS: I had to laugh about your comment,too, Dr. Theda! Genius!

David said...

Well, the roaches and worms that he ingested were "food grade" for pets. Here is a little more of the story from an expert:

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said."

So his death is a mystery at this time. Maybe he just died because of being absolutely gross.

This is yet another story I will try to follow up on.