Monday, October 8, 2012

Girl Drinks Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail, Gets Stomach Removed

A TEENAGE girl needed a life-saving operation to remove her STOMACH after drinking a cocktail laced with liquid nitrogen.

Gaby Scanlon, 18, was rushed to hospital after downing two 'Nitro Jagermeister' drinks on a boozy night out.

Surgeons found she had a perforated stomach — and feared she would die unless they removed it straight away.

Her parents were last night at their daughter's bedside at Royal Lancaster Infirmary, where she is "serious but stable".

Sixth-form student Gaby had been out with pals in Lancaster city centre and had drunk the Jagermeister and liquid nitrogen cocktails in Oscar's Wine Bar and Bistro.

The chemical, popularised by TV chef Heston Blumenthal, vaporises at -196°C and in drinks creates a smoky "dry ice" effect.

Although her pals suffered no ill-effects, Gaby, from nearby Heysham, began to feel breathless. She then had severe stomach pains and was rushed to hospital at 11pm.

Lancashire police said an investigation was under way and added: "Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently.

"The premises involved have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

Source and Video HERE

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

Poor girl. Cute, too. I've always been fascinated by liquid nitrogen, but i'd never mix it with my booze.

David said...

This sucks. It leaves too much unanswered. Were they able to repair her stomach or will she have to be on feeding tubes the rest of her protracted life? Can a person actually get a stomach implant?

I'll try to update this story when possible.